First Semester: Completed


    A semester passed. A year has two semesters in total, there are 4 years to complete degree. Each semester has like 4 months. Oh don't mind me, I'm just counting days to survive. With covid-19 around, it feels suffocating. I used to be excited to experience studying abroad, but now it feels somehow burdening. Especially when you're learning science subjects in your third language. I'm still stucked in Malaysia, because Japan has not open their border for foreigner yet. Of course I can't blame Olympics for happening as it is important for their economy. Maybe it just happens at the wrong time, I guess.

    So, yep! Things happen. My first semester in summary, was like a roller coaster! Starting from my entrance ceremony, I was so sad because I couldn't meet other universities mates. Of course I was excited too as an international student😜 Long story short, these days, there is this one "culture" where Japanese find their universities friends on Twitter using some kind of hashtag #春からOO大学 which means [#OOUniversityFromSpring]. But what's weirder, most of them will make new accounts just for finding uni-friends, but, by staying anonymous. Yes, ma'am yes, if in Malaysia, we often want to stay away from our uni-friends, but in this situation, they are on the other side. 

    And then, a day after ceremony, I already attended our classes through Zoom. I was given like three weeks (?) to decide what course I'll be taking in the semester to collect credits. There are subjects which have 2 credits, and also 1 credit. I took 15 classes/ subjects in total for the first semester. I'm not sure about how Malaysia universities' credit system but this is how it sounds like in Japan. 


TMI: So this is how my schedule looks like (don't judge my Excel timetable haha). The white ones are the core (must-sit) subjects, the coloured ones are additional subjects. 

    Throughout my first semester, doing assignments alone isn't helping at all. I have literally no one to discuss with, especially when I am the only Malaysian student in my class. My other Malaysian-mates are in other classes though. There are a lot of things that I need to check, confirm, re-study the materials given, understand the question and solve. Wow, I've did this far. I did it, even alone. One of my flex, I must say. Despite of having continuous breakdowns, I managed to submit assignments before the deadline :D

    Japanese friend? Who's that? Just kidding. Of course I managed to make some friends. Or at least, I consider them as friends. Like, maybe...one? Who I can ask about what's happening and so on but I think there's still barrier between us. As an introvert, making friends is really hard. I have to admit that there are a lot of chances to talk in breakout rooms during classes, but they'll be talking all in Japanese and I think my Japanese level isn't that advanced to speak comfortably with them. It's just, I can understand about what they're talking to some extent, but I can't reply freely what's in my mind. Some of you all might want to say "just talk, they'll understand your situation", oh okay, I don't even have any ideas what to talk about. Introvert things. I can only imagine situations, like writing in this blog, bestie :)

    Kind of glad that this semester has come to its end, and I'll be having about 2 months free before continuing my second semester on October. And also, I hope we'll be able to enter Japan real soon because I just can't keep up online lectures haha. Thank you for reading, have a nice day ahead! <3

7 comments

  1. yayyy otsukare hehe. it has passed. time for rest now. maybe with a few pieces of moon cakes haha. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Elfarahin, yay, otsukare! i'll rest very well :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg student japan ke? Wahhh jelesnyaaaaaa. Saya dulu nak sangat belajar dekat sana tapi rezeki dekat malaysia

    ReplyDelete
  4. bestnya study kat japan!!! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. otsukare-sama desuuu~~
    studying online locally is hard enough. to study internationally among foreign classmates must've been challenging. you did great surviving classes in COVID. hope you'll get to enter Japan soon too. have a blessed sem break 💐

    ReplyDelete

comments